I’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria. What are the first steps I should take after the accident?

If you or someone you know have been injured in a car accident or other motor vehicle accident, there are a few things you need to do to make sure you are legally covered.

Immediately following a motor vehicle accident:

1. Seek medical treatment

Even if you think your injuries are minor, you should get them checked by a doctor or ambulance paramedic, being sure to report all of your symptoms. Ensure that you report symptoms as they arise; for example, some injuries to your spine don’t always cause you immediate pain or discomfort. However, spinal injuries can be very serious and can impact your ability to work or other activities of daily living. Getting medical treatment will avoid any disputes with the TAC about the cause of your injury if or when you lodge a claim for compensation.

2. Collect details, registration and evidence of the accident

It is important to try and obtain the registration details of any vehicles involved in the accident. If possible, try to collect the name and contact details of any witnesses to the accident. If a witness has dash-cam footage or photos on their phone, secure a copy for yourself.

3. Report the accident to police

You should report the accident to Police if they didn’t attend the crash scene. Be sure to get an incident report number and the name and details of the police officer you dealt with.

If you were involved in an accident involving public transport, you must report the incident to the public transport company. For example, Yarra Trams, Metro Trains or the relevant bus company.

Need help?

Polaris Lawyers are award-winning personal injury lawyers.

We offer an obligation and cost-free consultation to discuss your options in relation to TAC claims.

Contact us today to start the process of getting the compensation you deserve.

1300 383 825

If you have been injured in a road or motor vehicle accident; you are likely to be entitled to a range of benefits including:

  • Medical expenses
  • Wage replacement
  • Lump sum payments for your permanent impairment
  • Damages for pain and suffering
  • Domestic care expenses
  • Travel expenses (for attending medical appointments)

Unsure where to turn after
a motor vehicle accident?

Use our free online tool to find out how to get started with a TAC claim.


With over 50 years combined experience in personal injury law we have the knowledge and insight to get the best outcomes for our clients.

Take the stress out of pursuing a claim and focus on your recovery. We are a compassionate and understanding team with no hidden fees or charges, free initial advice when and where you need it.

Start typing and press Enter to search