In TAC Talk: Road Crashes
cyclists and tac claims

Can cyclists involved in a motor vehicle accident lodge a TAC claim?

In Victoria, if you’re injured in a road accident, you can lodge a TAC claim. This includes cyclists injured “due to a motor vehicle”. If you collide with a motor vehicle or a motor vehicle causes you to have an accident on your bike, you may be entitled to a claim.

Your TAC claim could entitle you to:

  • Payments for loss of income
  • Medical expenses
  • Other expenses like home help and domestic services
  • Travel expenses for medical appointments related to your accident
  • Lump sum compensation

However, if you have an accident on your bike that does not involve a motor vehicle, you are not entitled to make TAC claim.

You should always get advice from a TAC expert if you are injured on the road or due to a motor vehicle. Cyclists injured in Victoria are only covered by the TAC scheme in limited situations, including:

  • If they are hit by a motor vehicle (including trams and trains);
  • If they are injured in an accident swerving to avoid a car;
  • If they are involved in a “dooring” accident;
  • If the cyclist collides with a stationary car; or
  • If the accident is caused by debris which is on the road due to the driving of another vehicle.

If you are unsure if your bicycle accident involved a motor vehicle or was caused by a motor vehicle, you should seek legal advice about your options.

At Polaris, we are experts in TAC claims and we’ve helped many Victorians access their rights and entitlements.


1300 383 825 or email [email protected]

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search

Road accidents and ambulances Who pays?Is it time for bikes to be registered?