In TAC Talk: Road Crashes
What is TAC motor vehicle accident insurance

In Victoria, the TAC (Transport Accident Commission) is the insurer responsible for managing claims (called a “TAC claim”) for injuries from road and transport accidents. This could include accidents involving a car, truck, bus, motorbike, bicycle or pedestrian.

When Victorians pay to register their car or other vehicle, part of that payment goes to the TAC insurance.

The TAC spends some of that money on road safety campaigns and other initiatives, but it also uses the money to pay benefits and compensation to people who are injured in road accidents.

What does TAC pay for if I am injured in a motor vehicle accident?

The TAC is different from the insurance that you take out for damage to your vehicle. It pays for benefits and compensation for your physical and psychological injuries. These include payments for:

  • medical expenses (including doctors, specialists, physiotherapy, rehabilitation, hospital expenses and more)
  • loss of income
  • home help (for example home cleaning, gardening, domestic help)
  • travel for medical appointments related to your accident
  • lump sum compensation for permanent injuries (including pain and suffering compensation)

It does not matter who was at fault in the accident

TAC compensation and benefits are available to people injured in motor vehicle accidents in Victoria under the TAC insurance scheme, no matter whose fault the accident was.

TAC is a well-established insurance scheme and it expects people who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents to make a TAC claim for compensation and any other benefits. You should rest assured that making a TAC claim for benefits or compensation will not affect the way that the TAC treat you.

TAC compensation and benefits are available even if you are a cyclist, pillion passenger or pedestrian, or if the vehicle that hit you is unidentified. You may also have a claim if you were on a train or tram that collided with a road user.

If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident and sustained injuries, you should lodge a TAC claim. At Polaris, we are experts in TAC compensation claims. For advice or assistance, call us for a free consultation. It doesn’t cost you anything to find out if you have a claim.


1300 383 825 or email [email protected]

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search

TAC claim time limitsRejected TAC claim