I’ve been injured in a car accident? What do I do now?
In Victoria, if you’re been injured in a car accident or other motor vehicle accident, you need to know what you can do to limit the financial impact of the accident and to ensure you are get the support you need to recover. Lodging a TAC claim will assist you with income payments, medical expenses and the potential for lump sum compensation.
Some people are aware that the TAC insurance scheme exists and can be used to help pay for medical and wage benefits as well as compensation after an accident, but they are unsure about how to access the scheme.
How do I make a TAC claim?
Here are the 6 steps to making a TAC claim for benefits if you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria:
- Report the accident to the Police.
If the accident involved a bus, tram or train, you should also report the accident directly to the bus, train or tram company.
Make sure you get a Police reference number and confirmation that your report has been recorded and written down.
If possible, ask for a written copy of the report to be sent to you.
- If you are able, take photos of the accident scene or arrange for someone to do this for you. Also get photos of your vehicle, and of any bruising or injuries you have sustained.
Photos can be important in proving how the accident occurred and in showing the injuries that you sustained.
- Seek medical treatment. Go to your local hospital or doctor, making sure that they note down all of your injuries, even if they don’t seem minor at the time.
- Call the TAC to lodge a “TAC Claim for Compensation Form”. Call TAC on 1300 654 329.
- Collate as much of your financial and medical information as you can so that you can provide it to the TAC in support of your claim.
Pay slips, tax returns and the details of the all doctors who have treated you following the accident are important pieces of information.
- Seek legal advice from a lawyer experienced in TAC claims.
Lodging a TAC claim and finding out about your rights and entitlements can be confusing, and dealing with an insurer when you’ve been injured can feel intimidating. Find out more on our video, “5 Simple Steps to Lodge a TAC Claim”.
For more information or assistance, get in touch directly with today’s blog writer, Megan Caines. Megan can arrange a free and confidential conversation with you to discuss your TAC claim, and provide you with information about your rights and entitlements under the TAC scheme.